There are hundreds upon hundreds of dental blogs that aim to educate the general public about how to keep their mouths as healthy as possible. But it is not necessary to make all of these blogs, or online commentaries, extremely serious. Focusing on the fun, unconventional aspects of dentistry is often just as informative as blogs with other tones.
Below, you will find five yet unconventional facts about dentistry. Hopefully, these facts will not only enlighten you but will also brighten your day:
- Did you know that tooth enamel is incredibly durable? Indeed, tooth enamel is the hardest natural material in the entire human body. However, don't let this tidbit lead you astray. Having such a hard substance on your teeth does not permit you to use your teeth as rough and tough instruments. It is therefore recommended that you avoid opening bottles and other similar things with your teeth. In so doing, you seriously risk breaking or damaging your pearly whites.
- Did you know that most people do not spend nearly enough time brushing their teeth? Well, they don't. When you look at the average time spent brushing daily, you see that most people only allocate a maximum of 1 or 2 minutes a day to this most important task. By only brushing for this short period of time, you fail to give yourself enough time with which to remove all of the plaque from your teeth. Alternatively, try to spend at least two minutes brushing your teeth at least two times every day.
- The following fact will likely shock you. Most people produce up to 25,000 quarts of saliva throughout their entire lives. This staggering amount of saliva is enough to fill two standard-sized swimming pools! All of this saliva helps to keep your teeth incredibly healthy. Indeed, saliva effectively neutralizes a lot of the acid that comes in contact with your teeth on a daily basis.
- There is actually a very specific name for the sensation of burning in your mouth. This sensation has officially been dubbed as 'pizza palette' by dental professionals around the world.
- On the topic of cheese, this delicious food is actually beneficial to your pearly whites. The calcium and phosphorous contained in cheese—and most dairy products—is instrumental in allowing your teeth to remineralize their enamel.
It is hoped that this interesting albeit unconventional dental facts will not only amuse you, but will improve your understanding of your own dental health.